- Costa Rica is well connected by air to other Central and South American countries, as well as the USA.
- International flights arrive at Aeropuerto Internacional Juan Santamaría, 17km northwest of San José, in the town of Alajuela.
- Aeropuerto Internacional Daniel Oduber Quirós in Liberia also receives international flights from the USA, the Americas and Canada. It serves a number of American and Canadian airlines and some charters from London. Flights into Liberia have increased since the 2012 opening of a new terminal.
- The national airline, Lacsa (part of the Central American Airline consortium Grupo TACA), flies to the USA and Latin America, including Cuba.
- The US Federal Aviation Administration has assessed Costa Rica’s aviation authorities to be in compliance with international safety standards.
Copyright 2003 Lonely Planet Publications , all rights reserved, used with permission