PLEASE NOTE: MINIMUM TWO PERSON REGISTRATION
You will be staying at a small town called Dete, which is 2 hours south of the magnificent Victoria Falls and on the edge of Hwange National Park. Hwange is by far the largest Park in Zimbabwe with a huge and varied quantity of animals and birds. The park is unfenced so animals particularly elephant, Cape Buffalo and impala do wander in to the town and occasionally the school grounds. Despite the wonderful wildlife experiences the area is uncrowded (Covid friendly!), compared with the Serengeti or similar park in East Africa. Yet, due to the disastrous economic situation in Zimbabwe the poaching of animals for subsistence meat, is a curse.
With the present mass unemployment, accentuated by the Covid pandemic has lead to a general impoverishment of the rural community. Unfortunately, due to desperation the small town of Dete, bordering the National Park, has become a breeding ground for poachers who kill wildlife for the illegal bushmeat trade, or for illegal trading in elephant ivory. By offering alternative solutions we endeavor to create employment opportunities and encourage the general upliftment of locals thereby curtailing the poaching of precious wildlife, and offering a brighter future for all concerned.
All groups will work a variety of projects such as:
- Refurbishment and painting of walls and ceilings of classrooms.
- Planting, protection and watering of new saplings in the school premises.
- Building and maintaining roof water storage.
- Removing alien vegetation.
- Manually sinking a water borehole, subject to water diviner.
- Building a vegetable garden.
Larger groups will also be doing projects such as:
- Building of new classroom in an overcrowded school where the Entrance Foyer is used to house two classrooms which are open to the weather elements. We are unlikely to be able to tackle the entire new build within the time frame, but this will enable at least the level and pouring of the new foundation with volunteers.
- Erection of perimeter fencing.
Game Drives and Game Walks in the National Park available daily with armed Rangers, visit magnificent Victoria Falls – worlds largest waterfall, Water Rafting on River Zambezi, Bungee Jump, Sunset Cruise on River Zambezi
Depending on group size, groups will be staying one of two 3-star lodges, situated in under 8 miles from the project site which offers ensuite chalets, bungalows, camping, bar, restaurant, etc.
Arrival and Meetup
Fly in and out of Victoria Falls International Airport with a two-hour drive to and from Dete. You will be met at the airport on Saturday, prior to drive to Dete.